Otago / Canterbury boundary line.
“In 1853, the boundary between New Zealand’s Canterbury and Otago provinces was defined as the Waitaki River to its source.
Opinions differed as to which of the Upper Waitaki branches led to the source: Canterbury favoured the Ahuriri River and Otago preferred Pukaki. The Canterbury and Otago Waste Land Boards were leasing the same pieces of land to different claimants without consulting each other.
In 1861, the General Assembly ruled a new boundary line, running from Lake Ohau towards Mt Aspiring in disregard of terrain.
It was marked over long distances by a fence and a spade-turned ditch, traces of which are still evident. The spadeline became obsolete in 1899 when the boundary was again changed to run up the middle of Lake Ohau and the Hopkins River to the main divide.
The decision gave Otago a triangular block of mountain country which had previously been Canterbury’s.”